Smoky Chilli Con Carne
Making double quantities of chilli means you can serve half with rice today and freeze the rest for a chilli bake next week.
- 3tbsp smoked chilli oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 900g (2lb) lean minced beef
- 11⁄2 level tsp. hot chilli powder
- 1 level tsp. ground cumin
- 1 level tbsp. tomato purée
- 2 level tsp. soft dark brown sugar
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 300ml (1⁄2 pint) beef stock
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 142ml carton soured cream
- 25g (1oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1tbsp freshly chopped flat-leafed parsley
- Smoked chilli salt to season
- Heat the smoked chilli oil in a large flameproof casserole or heavy-based pan, then add the onions, garlic and chillies and cook for 4–5min until the onion softens. Increase the heat, add the beef and stir-fry for 5–6min until browned all over.
- Add the chilli powder, cumin and tomato purée and cook, stirring, for 1min. Add the sugar, Worcestershire sauce, stock and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30min.
- Add the kidney beans to the casserole and simmer for a further 10min. Put half the chilli con carne aside and leave to cool. Garnish the remaining chilli with soured cream, grated cheese and parsley, and season with smoked chilli salt. Serve with rice.
Per serving: Calories: 390 Total fat: 20g Total carbs: 22g