Spicy Crab Salad
This delicious crab salad is a great seasonal starter.
- 1½ halved, deseeded and finely chopped red chillies
- the pared zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1tbsp each wholegrain mustard
- Smoked green peppercorns
- white wine vinegar
- runny honey
- 100ml (3½fl oz.) Original smoked oil
- 400g (14oz) white crabmeat
- 5 slices white sourdough bread
- 2 x 145g bags mixed watercress, rocket and spinach
- stoned and thinly sliced ripe avocados
- 6 finely sliced spring onions
- and a small handful of fresh mint leaves
- First make the dressing: mix together 1½ halved, deseeded and finely chopped red chillies, the pared zest and juice of 2 limes, 1tbsp each wholegrain mustard, white wine vinegar and runny honey. Gradually mix in 100ml (3½fl oz.) original smoked oil and stir in 400g (14oz) white crabmeat. Season with ground green peppercorns, then cover and chill until needed.
- Cut 5 slices white sourdough bread into 1cm (½in) cubes. Heat 2-3tbsporiginal smoked oil in a large frying pan, add the bread cubes and fry for 6-8min until crisp. Don’t overcrowd the pan or the croutons won’t crisp up - fry in batches if necessary. Season with salt and set aside on kitchen paper to cool.
- Empty 2 x 145g bags mixed watercress, rocket and spinach salad into a bowl, then add 4 stoned and thinly sliced ripe avocados and 6 finely sliced spring onions.
- Using your hands, gently toss through the crab mix. Season and garnish with the croutons and a small handful of fresh mint leaves before serving.
Per serving: Calories: 352 Total fat: 27g Saturated fat 5g Total carbs: 15g Sugars 3g